The Quarter Racing Owners of Ontario Inc Board of Directors feel that it is very important for the future of our industry that we have as many horsemen people attend this meeting on Saturday, November 19th at 1:00PM to 3:00PM at Port Perry (Golfer’s Dream Golf Club in Scugog.)
1000 Second Line Scugog,
Port Perry, Ontario
Ontario Racing (OR), the new industry association for horse racing in Ontario, is pleased to announce that consultations have begun regarding a proposed longer-term funding framework and agreement for the industry beyond 2021. This framework, subject to government approval, will be presented to the industry for feedback. If approved, this framework will provide the industry as a whole – from owners, trainers, and breeders to racetrack operators – with the certainty they need to make investments in their businesses.
OR’s primary objective, to this point, has been to engage directly with the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation and the government to provide input to the development of a roadmap to sustainable funding for the industry. Now, OR’s focus will shift towards engagement with the industry as a whole to garner feedback on this proposed framework.
This proposed framework is based on key principles including:
- A new racetrack alliance: all Ontario racetracks that conduct live racing will be invited to create a new alliance. It is proposed that Woodbine Entertainment Group (WEG) will serve as the administrator of this new alliance.
- Longer- term, predictable funding: Ontario’s horse-racing industry can invest in their businesses beyond 2021.
- Ongoing accountability and transparency: decision-making based on evidence and agreed upon success indicators.
- Industry leadership: racetrack business plans, race dates, purse levels will be aligned across racetracks for a coordinated approach. Ontario Racing will play a key industry leadership role in the future.
Next steps include in addition to an introductory webinar, widespread ‘in person’ conversations with the industry about these principles, across Ontario. Sessions will take place in every region of the province that has horse-racing, throughout the month of November. Dates and locations will be posted on the OR website, at www.ontarioracing.com. Industry participants can also provide feedback by answering consultation questions online on the Ontario Racing website.
Dates (subject to change)
- Monday, October 31 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Toronto (Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport)
- Tuesday, November 1 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Hamilton (Flamboro Downs)
- Wednesday, November 9 – 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – (Hiawatha Horse Park)
- Sunday, November 13 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – London (Western Fair Raceway)
- Wednesday, November 16 – 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – Ottawa (Rideau Carleton Raceway)
- Saturday, November 19 – 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Port Perry (Golfer’s Dream Golf Club, Scugog)
- Tuesday, November 22 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Milton (Gambrel Barn, Country Heritage Park)